Last season we played the Dvorak Cello Concerto (Currently working on Symphony
No.8) and I must say that just taking in the orchestra part in the first
rehearsal without the soloist was one of the highlights of the season. I
remember turning to the second horn and saying that I thought the piece sounded
great as is and doesn't seem to need the soloist. Of course with the soloist is
even better.  Personally, the horn trio in the slow movement is some of the
best writing for our instrument I have yet played.

In other (NHR) news, there is a "Driveway moment" podcast on NPR featuring
about 20 minutes of interview with Wynton Marsalis that is worth downloading.
The man is such a cheerleader that it sometimes makes me want to blush, but his
scholarship and understanding really come through in the interview. And while
I'm thinking about it, Radio Lab has done some really interesting segments on
music.

Stephen Burian