Howard Sanner wrote:

... One of the Schubert songs--that isn't Heidenroslein--is Der Lindenbaum, which is one of the earlier songs in his (IMHO interminably--I'm not exactly a Schubert fan) long cycle Die Winterreise. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, so I might as well pour a little gasoline on the fire and say that I can't stand the quintet in C with two cellos, either!)

----

You are more to be pitied than censured.

BTW, der Lindenbaum has achieved the status of a folk song in the German speaking countries. Just about every local singing club does a version of it, most popularly by men's chorus. Perhaps if you did some singing, his works would grow on you.

As to the quintet, I can see getting hung up on the adagio, especially if you are in a disquieted state of mind. It does unfold slowly. But I find the whole piece to be some of the finest string writing in the literature.

Richard Hirsh, Schubertiphile