-------- Original Message --------
 Subject: on the streets (was 2 horns and strings)
 From: "Leonard & Peggy Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Date: Fri, October 24, 2008 8:35 am
 To: "horn list memphis" <horn@music.memphis.edu>
 Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Carl Bangs writes:

 A movement from an early Haydn symphony might work. I used to play
 number 18 with a string quartet on the streets in San Francisco. The
oboe
 parts merely double the strings.<<<<<<<

 Carl,
 Is there a living playing on the streets? I guess I mean, is it for
love
 or money? What is the experience like?

 LLB "the streets of Laredo"

Leonard,

I'll try to send this again. I apologize if this is a repetition.

 This was in the mid 1970's when I lived in Berkeley. I would have made
more money with almost any non-music job, but I wouldn't have had as
much fun. With a combination of free-lance jobs, un-employment
insurance, and street music I survived, started an orchestra which I
conducted for 15 years, married a couple of wives (not simultaneously
this time), and bought my first house. I think we averaged about $5 an
hour for time on the street, but it was really advertising for the gigs
that paid well, weddings, parties, etc.

I had three street music groups simultaneously so I could work almost
every day. One was  Emperor Norton's Imperial Orchestra, a string
quartet plus horn. There was a brass quintet, and a woodwind quintet
called the Gottlieb Quintet that played mostly Mozart Divertimenti. Our
theory was that Mozart was so good that he had to be Jewish, but that he
changed his name to Amadeus when he got into show business. We had to
explain this to people who were disappointed to learn that Lou was not a
member of our quintet. Our favorite place to play was outside Doubleday
Bookstore.

I remember one day just after I had put my horn away, someone asked me
if it were some kind of electric guitar. I replied  "No, it's
pneumatic."

On Friday afternoons all the street musicians got together to put on an
orchestra concert at the Civic Center and Ghirardelli Square.

The way the economy is now I may return to the streets.

Carl