Bob and friends,

I met Alessio Allegrini in Italy in 1991-92 when I was teaching and playing in
Rome.  He played for me a couple of  times, once in my studio and once when I
visited the studio of his teacher, Luciano Giuliani who was also a wonderful
player (no relation to the mayor, I don't think).  Alessio was 16 and even then
I remember saying that he was a great talent who was going to make a big noise
in Italy.  I believe he became Muti's horn player of choice in Italy later.  I
stumbled upon his YouTube performance of Strauss 2 and was so impressed that I
forwarded the link to my uncle Roland who is now the horn teacher at Oberlin.
Coincidentally, I was in Vienna this past September with Myron Bloom and we
happened upon a rehearsal with Claudio Abbado and the Luzerne Festival
Orchestra.  Since Myron and Claudio are dear friends, we were able to listen
in. The horns sounded great and even the very discriminating Myron Bloom was
highly complimentary.  He had played extra with that orchestra a few years back
and recognized the third horn player.  The principal player looked very
familiar to me and during the break, Abbado confirmed that it was in fact
Alessio.  I went to the orchestra room and after a double-take and despite a
graying beard, Alessio recognized me.  He is a very active player now,
currently principal with Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia I believe, the
aforementioned Luzerne orchestra, and some other Mozart orchestra somewhere in
Europe.  He is also involved with putting together multi-national groups
promoting Middle East peace.  The fine young student has become an exceptional
young man.

Ciao,

Orlando