Leonard,

There is also a cylinder recording of this piece. I have done some research
on it and wrote the following about it as part of the project: Die Post or
The Post in the Forest. This is unquestionably the oldest item with
significant horn content that I have ever run across. It was recorded for
Edison Phonograph and released as Blue Amberol 478 and 2444 (different
recordings) in August 1910. The cylinder featured players from the Boston
Symphony Orchestra, which was then a predominantly German ensemble. This
was the case until the advent of the First World War. This event and the
later coming of Pierre Monteux and Charles Munch resulted in a significant
shift towards the French, both in personnel and in playing style. The
cornet soloist on this recording was Gustave F. Heim and the accompanying
Waldhorn Quartett was made up of George Wendler, Franz Hain, Wilhelm
Gebhardt and Heinrich Lorbeer.

I have had some correspondence with Norm Schweikert about this recording
and he pointed me in the direction of an article published in Horn Call
that called into question some of the personnel information that was
included in the original Edison release announcement. I was left somewhat
confused, but it appears that the publicity pictures in the announcement
were altered (way before PhotoShop) and at least one of the players was a
different B.S.O. hornist than the caption indicates. I don't have the
correspondence, release announcement or article at hand at the moment, but
the recording date and location is not in question. Anyone interested can
hear these cylinders by way of the University of California, Santa Barbara
at:
http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&query=post&num=1&start=5&sortBy=&sortOrder=ia
http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?query=post&num=1&[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&sortBy=&sortOrder=ia&start=6

These URLs might be difficult to copy and paste into your browser, so an
easier method might be to search "ucsb cylinder" which ought to bring you
to the Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project homepage and you can
search on "post" which turns these recordings up number 5 and 6 on the
list. The files can be streamed or downloaded as WAV or MP3. This is all
public domain material, trust me.

I notice that one version has the date 1914 and I am pretty sure that this
cannot be an accurate date of recording; possibly it refers to issue date.
The Edison release announcement date is beyond question and I don't see
much likelihood that these five players went back to the recording horn a
second time to record the same piece 4 years after the first session. I
also have a Columbia 12" 78 disc of the NY Liederkranz with
Waldhornquartett doing the Mendelssohn Jaeger's Abscheid, but this dates
from March 1926, or thereabouts. The playing on these recordings is amazing
to hear, despite the sonic restrictions of recording and playback. A real
time machine experience.

I'd love to hear the recordings that Hans talks of in his message.

Peter Hirsch

>date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:57:57 +0100
>from: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>subject: Re: [Hornlist] 100 year old recording
>
>Hello all, I own a recording of "Die Post im Walde" (The Postman in the
forest) with the Stiegler Quartett & Adolf >Stiegler playing cornet,
recorded around 1900, "Farewell to the forest" by Mendelssohn, also with
the Stiegler >quartet. They are on one-sided recordings, also marked 555 +
xxx (copies) evidence copy. Bruno Hoyer & Gustav Kaleve >playing the
Serenade for Flute & Horn by Emil Titl and Schumanns "Traeumerei" on the
same record, played by Bruno >Hoyer - with a big "nerve" vibrato. This
record is recorded a bit later (around 1910-15: still royal chamber
>musicians)
>
>How do they sound: scratchy but lovely.
>
>But their sound cannot be compared with todays sound, as the microphones
(very simple devices) were very poor that >time.