Hello, Everyone.

    Lately I've been studying the Pocket Transposed Score of
the Dimitri Shostakovich (1906-1975), Violin Concerto No. 1
Op. 99 in A minor (originally Op. 77, 1947, 37 min.).
Although the total concerto is listed as being in "A minor" he
uses some of his Signature Shostakovich "Modern Chromatic
Modal" harmonies, that defy Traditional Tonal Analysis. As
usual that includes some "Quartal" Harmony ("chords stacked
every 4th note", instead of the usual "Tertian" Harmony of
"chords stacked every 3rd note"), and some people might call
his Cultural Style as traditionally "Russian", or: "Eastern
European", "Gypsy", "Klezmer" or "Ashkenazic".

    Ironically, the same "Bent Notes" and "Bent Chords" in a
different Style, in the South Eastern US States is commonly
called "Jazz", "Blues" or even "Gospel" Harmonies.

    The Scoring is for:
Woodwinds in 3's,
4 Horns in F,
Tuba,
3 (or 4) Tympani,
a few percussion instruments,
Harp,
the Solo Violin
and Strings.

    The Slow 3rd Movement is a heartbreakingly beautiful
"Passacaglia", written in Bb Minor Key Signature. The
Theme and 9 Variations are all in 3/4 Meter and 17 bars long,
each.

    My question is about Variation 5, mm. 86-102, where the
2 Lower Horns and Tuba play the 17-bar Passacaglia Theme.
Horns 2 and 4 are in Unison, sounding an octave above the
Tuba, who goes to the Low E-Natural, 4 Lines Below the
Bass Clef. (Russians DO love to write some wonderful,
LOW Melody Lines for Singers, Strings or Brass at times!)

    The Unison 2 Lower Horns are Written IN F, but Go
Down to a WRITTEN B-Natural BELOW the Bass Clef! I'd
guess that this is the Old Notation System, where they are
Sounding a Perfect 4th Higher than their Bass Clef Notes.
But would have I thought that Shostakovich would have
switched from "Old Notation" to "New Notation" for Bass
Ranged Horn Writing by 1947!?!
===================================
    I also own a Transposed Score of the Shostakovich
Symphony No, 10 in E minor, Op. 93 (1953), which is
another favorite of mine for the last 30 years. (By the way,
this work is Practically a Concerto for Winds, so there is
some GREAT Horn Writing in it!) I decided to dig through
the Horn Parts in this work, and found the Same "Old
Notation" Bass Clef Horn Writing in 1953! This inspires
some questions:

    Has anyone here ever played Horn for the Shostakovich
1st Violin Concerto or 10th Symphony? Do they print your
Part Books in Old or New Notation?

    Did Shosty EVER switch to "New Notation" for Bass
Ranged Horn Writing?

    Does anyone know why, when I've sent in articles to Both
the Yahoo and Memphis Horn Lists, that the ones to the
Yahoo List, usually never show up, when I get the Daily
Digest each night?

    Bear Woodson

Home: 520 - 881 - 2558
"Bear Woodson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>