Bill, I looked up Hoffer.  What a fascinating guy!  You've inspired me to
read True Believer.

I think perhaps you're also making a commentary about Valerie and her
advocacy of the BE system.

We've all seen players who are constantly searching for the one true thing
(horn or mouthpiece), or way (teacher, guru, exercise), that will unlock the
mystery that is horn playing.

In my mind, there is no doubt that we all arrive at our current level
through a myriad of factors.  We focus on one thing at our peril.  I find
myself wishing for the ease of an 'answer' when my playing takes a
southbound turn.

In one of those turns, I learned about BE; and while I'm not placing all of
my horn playing eggs in that basket - or any other - I have found it a
valuable tool that, carefully and thoughtfully applied, has sharpened both
my ability and my consistency.

Since we'll never know 'all' about horn playing, openness to new ideas
becomes us.  What works for Joe Amazing Talent (or at least - what Joe
thinks is working for him) may not work for Jane Modicum Ability.

I salute Jeff Smiley for his willingness to break with convention, not for
the breaking's sake, but in search of success.  His goals seem to be
discernment of what works, not honoring (or dishonoring!) any past teacher
or idea or school of playing.

Sandra Clark
Toledo Symphony