From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard V. West
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:28 AM
To: The Horn List
Subject: [Hornlist] Kruspe Horns

I have the feeling that I may have replied to Ed Glick's query on the
wrong list. Or perhaps he asked both lists. For what it's worth, here's
my contribution:

I believe that the "New Symphony Model" Kruspe (definitely no umlaut)
was specifically
developed in the 1920s to create a full double horn with a separate Bb
tuning slide and a medium bell throat, as opposed to the wider throat of
the Horner model. It was listed in Kruspe catalogues as the "Walter
Kruspe" model. This model was issued the German design registration
number (DRGM) 1027194, which was generally engraved on horns sold in
Germany in lieu of the "Made in Germany" engraved on the horns intended
for export. My guess is the the name "New Symphony Model" was given to
the export horns. Another guess is that this horn was developed to be
more competitive with the Alexander horns of this period. I've seen
these horns in both brass and nickel silver (I play a nickel silver
version myself).

Interestingly (at least to me), Kruspe produced a "Fritz Kruspe" model,
too, but I have never knowingly seen one. The layout appears closer to
that of the classical Alexander double, but it may not have had a
separate Bb tuning slide.

Hope this helps.

Richard in Seattle

Glick, Ed wrote:
>  I bought my Kruspe ( there's no umlaut) in 1940. Stamped (or engraved)
on the bell is "Ed. Kruspe Erfurt New Symphony Model Made in Germany"
There's no serial number. When I bought it, I was told the horn was
about 20 years old, so it was probably manufactured about 1920. It is a
full double with a separate B-flat tuning slide. Would this horn have
been made before the Horner model or was it an offshoot of the Horner?
Does anyone know more about this instrument?