I can't resist anymore.  I must share with you my absolutely true Amahl story.

Many years ago, in a distant life, a number of us were hired from the New
England Conservatory to perform in the orchestra for a regional production of
this holiday classic.  The dress rehearsal was very long and tiring and when we
were released the cast was kept for hours more.

The next night, we witnessed an unforgettable example of method acting.  When
Amahl began to sing Mother, Mother, Wake-up,  we felt an increasing urgency in
his voice.  Apparently Mother was so exhausted, she was genuinely asleep on the
stage.

I wasn't even thinking much about it at first (I must have been worried about
my muted low D!!)  When our oboe player turned to me and said "OMG she's really
asleep."  It was pretty amazing to watch her pull herself together  -

you can't make this stuff up.