I think the early call time/warm up rehearsal thing is just a bad idea all
around.  I've never seen anything of value happen during one of those.  If it
ain't ready to go the day before the concert, it ain't going to get ready the
day of.  It's just a waste of good chops.  Then you have wasted time between
the run through and the concert.  It feels so Junior High School.
    When I was playing full time, I wasn't all that excited to be there so I'd
aim to arrive at the last possible moment before the downbeat.  A little risky,
but I was only late once and I was docked pay for it.  When I got back into the
exciting and fast paced world of free lancing, I found after awhile that the
last minute thing wasn't such a great policy and it resulted in way too much
death defying stupid driving while trying to eat and change clothes.
Indigestion.  So I got in the habit of aiming to arrive 30 minutes before the
downbeat.  Usually there wouldn't be that many people there yet.  If traffic
was bad, I had that 30 minute cushion to try to find plan B.  Warming up isn't
that much of an issue.  If you're playing all the time, you're warmed up.

- Steve Mumford