Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:25:25 +0100
Subject: [Hornlist] Decca Ring
From: Lindsay Carrick <lindsaycarr...@hotmail.com>
To: <horn@music.memphis.edu>

I have just finished re-reading "Ring Resounding" by John Culshaw which
is his account of the famousrecording.Strangely whilst many references
are made to Roland Berger as "Principal Horn throughout therecording"
there is no reference to Gottfried von Freiberg.As I understand from
speaking to Viennese players von Freiberg was Principal for
Rheingoldrecorded in 1958 assisted by Josef Veleba and Roland Berger
played 5th/1st Tuba with hisfather on 6th/2nd Tuba.I have further
information that the only opera on which Berger played every session was
Siegfried.It does seem wrong that Culshaw should omit to mention such a
distinguished player who definitelywas Principal on Rheingold and
especially when describing the recording of the famous Prelude.In fact
he implies that Berger was Principal by stating "Roland Berger nodded
his approval to trythe prelude again"Perhaps Culshaw did not get on with
Freiberg but in any case it is a glaring omission, even insultingyou
might say.Lindsay Carrick