The best way to transfer vinyl discs to digital medium is using a USB
turntable.  If you go to Musician's Friend, you can pick one up for around
$100.  It comes with Audacity software.

This works reasonably well, if you keep your volume down on your speakers so it
doesn't transfer sympathetic vibrations from the desk onto the turntable.

The Audacity software allows you to do filtering, EQ, and editing of severe
pops and clicks.  I've transferred scores of my old horn LP's and Classical
LP's to digital format.  There is a 'fast recording' mode to where you enter
the LP at 2X normal speed and then after recording, you can bring it back down
to the normal octave.  It saves some time in the long run.  However, even with
this, it does require lots of time in transferring.

Sincerely,

Dr. Eldon Matlick,  Horn Professor, University of Oklahoma
Principal Hornist, OK City Philharmonic
500 W Boyd
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4093 off. (405) 325-7574 fax