Dear Group,

As Mort Shafer's friend and publisher, I felt it  necessary to pass on
this sad news. I was blessed to know him and was  certainly aware of
his talent for arranging such beautiful horn ensemble  arrangements.
When he produced an arrangement for horn of some  classical
masterwork, it was because he heard it that way. He wrote  the
arrangement for Sextet or Octet, because it accomplished what both  he
and the original composer's music needed. It certainly had nothing
to  do with what his publisher was recommending :)

I have included below the  paragraphs from email sent by his son,
Steve  Shafer.

Sincerely,
Sandy Petersen
Pelican Music Publishing and  Horn Player
_www.pelicanmusicpublishing.com_ (http://www.pelicanmusicpublishing.com)

Mort  Shafer (written by Steve Shafer)

Mort Shafer, 78, passed away peacefully  on January 28, 2009. He was
beloved and friend to many, bridge-player,  joke-teller, father and
grandfather, sweetheart. His heart was weak, and  while he insisted
he would follow Dylan Thomas' advice to "not go gentle into  that good
night", he eventually was ready to go.

Mort taught music,  played French horn, composed, and conducted 21
amateur opera productions. He  hit his stride in his 70s, when he
could no longer play the horn, and instead  learned how to create
sheet music on his computer. He arranged a symphony  piece to be
played by 6 French horns. The Puget Sound Horn Society received  it
so well, even encouraging him to conduct the group, that he  continued
to arrange more and more orchestral music for ensembles of 6, 8,  or
even more horn players. In the end, he created over 120  arrangements
for horn ensembles, and he gained international renown through  their
publication.

Most of those who played his horn music probably  were not even aware
of his prodigious musicianship. Mort could literally  listen to a
recording of a familiar piece being played by an orchestra, then  sit
at his computer and create an arrangement for a horn  ensemble,
including every significant bit of the melody,  countermelodies,
harmonies, rhythms, dynamics, and ornamentations of the  original.
And, he was "familiar" with a vast number of pieces,  even
volunteering at Benaroya Hall for years to label unlabeled  recordings
by listening to them and consulting his vast memory of  classical
music.

Mort was an idealist to a degree most of us can only  imagine. He
believed passionately in equal rights for all, humane treatment  for
all, and political freedom of expression. He led protests  against
injustice, and wrote countless letters to editors, many of which  were
published. He was an inveterate kvetch, complaining not just  for
himself, but because he was such an idealist that he  couldn't
understand why our real world couldn't be living up to his fantasy  of
how the world should be. So, he complained! And frequently got  a
result. He helped save the Santa Monica Pier. He stood on the
street  corner with others protesting unjust wars. He protected free
speech even when  it cost him personally. And, he lived to see a
black man become the President  of the United States.

Mort lived to see two beautiful granddaughters,  Helen and Olivia. He
lived in a world that was perfect in his conception of  it. He spun
out musical creations. He taught us all how to be patriots.  And,
when he could do no more, he passed on. Goodbye, Mort! We'll all
keep  trying to live up to your dream.

by Steve  Shafer

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)