Wow - I see I have opened a touchy subject.

How about this one, which says it splits the difference between a gig
bag and a hard case, although I couldn't find the exact weight
anywhere on the web page.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GL-Lightweight-French-Horn-Case?sku=545837

Having read what everyone has said, realizing that I will not be
traveling by plane with my horn (I will fly somewhere to play only in
my next life, not this one), and that I will sometimes have it in the
car alongside other potentially dangerous objects like suitcases and
my children, I think I'm am going to rule out a lightweight gig bag.
The link above, however, looks appealing.  I have emailed and asked if
they could tell me exactly what it weighs.

>From what I read, a gig bag about 4 lbs. and a hard case more like 14
lbs.  Neither or those is a big concern because, although I'm no
spring chicken, I'm plenty strong enough to carry two French Horns in
hard cases under one arm for a bit if I need to, as I did just the day
before yesterday.  I would, however, like to protect my horn for
cheap.

I know, "light, cheap, strong - pick any two because you can't have
all three."  An engineer's expression but applicable here.

If anyone actually has used Gator brand and/or the model I link to
above, I'd like to know that.  The other leading contender right now
is a Pro Tec hard case, shown here for $160.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pro-Tec-Contoured-PRO-PAC-French-Horn-Case?sku=540235

This one, for whatever reason, does not seem appealing to me:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-Molded-ABS-French-Horn-Case?sku=545830

although it is less expensive than the Pro Tec.

-S-