Simon Varnam <simonvar...@gmail.com> wrote:

   Yes , but if the longer F valves are on the inside the 3rd slide will
   hit the bell.

I agree this is a problem, but various solutions have been found, for
instance curving the 3rd valve slides the other way, back towards the
player.  Or projecting them off into the 3rd dimension, since the three
valve configuration was finalized long before aircraft, screw bells, and
flight cases.

   > The conventional answer is that when valves were first developed, the
   > 1st valve was the first to be added.
   But is this true of horns?
   I've seen pictures of trumpets with 1 or 2 valves, but not of horns.

I don't think this matters.  I've certainly seen and played single-valve
bugles [sic].  Once the three valve system was developed, and players'
reflexes became accustomed, it would have been very hard to change.  The
natural agility of one or another tentacle matters when first learning a
discipline, but then you spend a decade or so doing exercise to develop
equivalent reflexes in each of the six or seven fingers.  Ask any
competent pianist, if you can get him away from Hanon long enough to
respond to the question.

   I suspect that the natural horn held out until the present order had
   evolved in other instruments.

I agree, probably so, although it would be nice if some of the
instrument historians on this list could back us up with some historical
evidence.

   >  The index finger is the most dextrous, and works the important 1st
   > valve.
   That is debatable. I'd rather trill on my middle finger than first. Or
   else I've been dealt a bad hand... did I really say that... sorry!
   :-)

I generally prefer a lip trill rather than 1st valve for whole step
trills.  But that's probably because when I'm playing I generally know
where my embouchure is more or less what it's doing -- I have only one
-- but I'd have to think which hand is the correct one to wiggle one or
another finger.  Confusing!  Valves are highly overrated.