> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:11:10 -0700> Subject: Re: [hornlist]Inauguration
> picture> From: dutto...@gmail.com> To: horn@music.memphis.edu
"Sadly, Fleet Marines are forced to give up their normal insignia upon
acceptance to the President's Own."

My understanding from talking to the few "Devil Dogs" that are in the
President's Own is that you can keep the crossed rifles if you are a Staff
Sergeant and above until you are promoted, then you revert to a music lyre.
When I was visiting there (around the time you were, Jack), the drum major was
from FMF, and a Master Gunnery Sergeant before he came over, so he kept the
bursting bomb. The DM of our band, a Gunny at the time, finished second, but if
he had won, he would have kept the crossed rifles until he was promoted to
Master Sergeant.
"Two of them are officers (and hence next to useless)"

Hence their pay grade designator, Zero-1 through Zero-6 ;)

Respectfully (somewhat) Submitted,
Scott Young