On 2/7/09 5:43 PM, "John Dutton" <dutto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MUSICALLY fulfilling careers to research and audition for the USMA,
> USNA, USCGA, and the four DC service bands.  I feel that the best of
> these are indeed the President's Own.  I have on just as many
> occasions pointed out that military field bands are not the place to
> be for one not inclined to breaking a nail or who abhors military
> customs-excepting again the above mentioned Academies and DC bands.
Greetings,

Not to take away from the eloquent statements of Mr. Dutton but I wonder why
one would not recommend the Air Force Field Bands.

During my tenure with the Air Force band programs I cannot remember breaking
any nails, or any military customs that caused me any harm. The Air Force
Field Bands, much like their DC counterpart are not gun-toting airman
running around being deployed in harms way. Yes, many members of the AF
Field Bands have be "deployed" overseas to perform for troops in regions
where hostile activity is present, but in doing so I relate this much more
closely to USO-style performances. Things may be different today, but when I
was in we did not go in fighting and later pick up our instruments to
perform for the troops.

The Air Force Bands Mission Statement is "to support the global Air Force
mission in war and peace by preserving national heritage providing
professional musical products and services for official military, recruiting
and community relations events."

As was mentioned I, like my former AF Band colleagues went through the short
AF basic training, and then a direct-duty assignment to the band for which I
had previously auditioned. I did not attend a military ³school of music² or
anything of the sort. From that time forward the only thing I did was
practice, rehearse and perform. During my 10 years I performed with nearly
all of the Air Force Bands as a full-time member, or during a time when
another hornist was unable or an extra was needed. This was for both live
performances and recordings.

I also do not feel that the quality of the musicians nor the performances
have ever been hampered by going through the short Air Force Basic Training.
I would put the musicians with whom I worked up against any in the military
band organizations. Superb musicians who enjoyed their choice to perform not
only for communities around the world, but for those that put their lives on
the line.

Individuals considering any of the military bands need to examine all
aspects of all branches so that they can make an informed decision. Some
will find that they might prefer field bands where there is more of the
"soldier" aspect, while others will not. So many seem to place the DC Bands
above all others due to having them being stationed in the DC area. While
there are special privileges associated with those organizations I am
extremely proud of the time I spent in the Air Force Band program. The
differences in quality of music and level of performances between the DC Air
Force Band and any of the Air Force Field bands are negligible. All are
extremely fine musicians.

Michael
--
Michael Gilliland