I guess the only thing to do is to wait until a member of that body, who is
also a member of this list responds.

-----Original Message-----
From: horn-bounces+bgross=airmail....@music.memphis.edu
[mailto:horn-bounces+bgross=airmail....@music.memphis.edu] On Behalf Of Bear
Woodson
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2009 1:11 PM
To: Horn List
Subject: [Hornlist] White House Marine Orchestra limitations

> message: 5
> date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:35:30 -0600
> from: "Bill Gross" <william.s.gr...@gmail.com>
> subject: RE: [Hornlist] White House Marine Band
>
> I can only speak for myself in this. You have taken
> a shot at them.

    I strongly disagree. Please remember a few facts:

1) It was THEIR Conductor and one of THEIR Violinists,
who told me, what they CAN'T play, BEFORE ever
Trying to do it. (This sounds to me that THEY have
taken a shot at branding All Marines as Quitters, which
all Combat-Trained Marines are taught NEVER to do.
THEY took the shot, I merely reported the fact, and you
blamed me, the messenger, for the message. That is also
not very Marine of you.)

2) The ex-combat Marines that I know say, "Can't means
Won't". They feel that the White House Musicians have
"rung the bell" (or "quit", as Navy Seals would say) before
even trying, and therefore have brought Shame upon the
name of all Marines. (Marines don't have a "quitting bell"
to ring.) If they didn't want to play my music, they should
have just said so. That would have been more honorable,
but they didn't; instead THEY said that they are
INCAPABLE of playing such Contrapuntal music.

> They aren't in a position to respond. It's a one sided
> thing. We just have your version

    I disagree again. Whereas THEY have Admitted to
being INcapable of playing Bartók-styled canons, I'd love
to hear them play some of the more Consonant 20th
Century Favorites like the Hindemith "Mathis der Maler"
or the Shostakovich 10th Symphony. (The Shostakovich
10th is practically a Concerto for Orchestra, with
impressive Solos for nearly every Wind Player and the
Horn Section! If you ever get a chance to play it, DO IT!
You might end up loving it!)

    Are there records anywhere that the White House
Marine Orchestra has EVER played Famous, Difficult,
Mature Masterworks of 20th Century Classical Music
with These Kinds of Rhythmic Complexities? Or are
they only able to master the High IQ profundities and
19th Century Tonality of John Philip Sousa oom-pah
marches and Johann Strauss waltzes, as they seem to
imply? The records of their Performances should speak
for themselves, so this is NOT a "one sided thing".

    If they were a High School Orchestra, this would be
OK, but these people are SUPPOSED to represent some-
thing Culturally IMPRESSIVE among US Citizens to
Visiting International Dignitaries! As one Marine friend
said, "if they are supposed to be the Elite of the Elite,
they are supposed to be able to play anything". But by
their own admission, they fall short of standards that I
have seen Routinely Exceeded by Classically Trained
Musicians from all around the world!

    Combat-trained Marines use the word "can't" very
rarely and literally. (For example: a Marine can't go out
dancing with his wife on his biological feet, if his
biological feet were blown off by a bomb in wartime.) It
is very UN-Marine-like behavior of you, or anyone, to
defend the behavior of people who say they "can't" do
something, if it can be shown to be due to mere laziness.

    Meanwhile, I'm still wondering of the talking dog from
the baked beans commercial can master a good enough
embouchure to play the Horn well. (Maybe he can play in
the Shostakovich 10th with a high school orchestra.)

    Bear Woodson

Home: 520 - 881 - 2558
"Bear Woodson" <bearwood...@cox.net>