I've had positive experiences with compensating horns as well. In fact, I was "lured" to a retailer in the midwest on the promise of a "perfect" Alex 103. After driving 17 hours one way and renting a hotel on a poor college-kid's budget, I found that the "perfect" 103 played like a dog and looked as though it had been rebuilt 20 times over. Rather than waste the trip, I found that they had several Paxmans in stock, several used horns and a few other used/new Alexes. The best horn I tried that day was an Alex compensating horn (don't recall the model #). It was affordable, in great condition, played well in tune, and had a beautiful sound. In my young naivety, I didn't purchase the horn (they asked $2100 at the time - in 1996). That experience has left me with an overall positive disposition towards compensating horns.

Cheers-
Jeremy

daniel.canaru...@unifi.it wrote:
I have a nice Hans Hoyer compensating double with five valves (bought for my daughter). It plays well, has a nice sound. The main drawback is that most valved positions in F are not well in-tune. It stands in Bb, it's thought to be played mostly in Bb. So it's not the right instrument for you if you play a lot on the F side. The fifth valve is for gestopf: the bell is easily closed even with a non-big hand, and you play with the regular Bb positions. In fact I plan to use it (rather than my Rauch) in an upcoming performance of Peer Gynt, where I have several stopped notes.

Daniel