To simplify, I would say the main advantage of the compensating horn is
that you can use "normal" fingerings (probably favoring the Bb side) and
theoretically play the full range of the horn.
    The 5 valve Bb is, for me, a little more of an entertainment.  It requires
more inventiveness to find fingerings that work well in the low range.  Here's
the deal, there aren't any notes available on the Bb horn below low B natural
until you get down to pedal F.  With the 5th valve F extension, you can come up
with some fingering combinations that will work for that range.  Valve 5 puts
you in F, but now all the other valve slides are too short for F horn so, for
instance, 5+2+3 won't really give you a low Ab.  It'll be way sharp.  You could
try 5+1+3 instead, or if there's time, you could pull the F extension out
farther to prepare a single note.  On the fly, It's a little more awkward.  The
F extension can come in handy elsewhere in the range.  For instance 1st valve G
can be uncomfortably flat on a Bb horn, 1+3 too sharp.  #5 ahhh, just right.
Tuba players can hip you to some good fingerings.  Their 4th valve serves the
same
 purpose as the F extension for single Bb horn.  Hit them up for fingerings on
the Wagner tuba too.  Don't forget all the wacky options you can use for the
4th (thumb) valve too.  Need a flat half step?  3/4 step for stopping?  1/2
step for E horn?  You can plug whatever length slide you might desire in
there.
    I've tried some 5 valve Bbs that were just kind of heavy and clunky, no
real advantage over a regular double horn but I have a very nice Kruspe 5 valve
that handles like a 1930s BMW racing car.  I read through a bunch of
transcribed James Jamerson bass lines to get the low fingerings into my head.
Whew!  Fun though.

- Steve Mumford