Thanks for your input, Jeremy.

I must respectfully disagree, though, with your assertion that hacks  can't
make "good" recordings.   I've heard and worked with many  so-called "artists"
both pop and classical whose live playing or  singing did not live up to their
recordings.  I've been on many  recording sessions where this was the result
though not in the major  orchestras I've played in except with a  slight few
soloists who  got take after take to fix their mediocre crap.  As to digital
editing, the  last jingle date I was on in MN before my "retirement" was a
track
job adding  brass to a synthesized track of rhythm and strings.  4 each of
trumpets,  trombones and horns recording separately.  We did a few takes of
each spot which were pretty much the same except for the length as  they were
making 15, 30 and 60 second spots.  Fairly difficult mid-upper  register mostly
unison and octave horn parts.  When we were  told "Finished, thank you,"  there
was one long note that was  obviously out of tune on the last take and I
asked "Don't you think we  need another pass on that?"  "No.  We got it
thanks."
I  then went into the booth, gave my opinion again and asked to hear  it.  The
engineer played it and bent the intonation digitally with a slider  on the
board until the offending passage was perfectly in tune.  He  also showed me
how
he could change tempi and fix ensemble without changing the  pitch.  I was
amazed, to say the least.

I also think that your story about 120 takes for a 3.5 minute  piece appears
to validate, rather than dispute, what I am  saying.  It took a professional
horn section about 20 minutes to  record the 1.75 minutes of music I mention
above, sight read and rather  difficult.  How long did the session(s) go for
your 120 takes?

My teacher, Prof. I.M Gestopftmitscheist, is coming out soon with his new
electronic product "French Horn Hero" which will give all a chance to  play
great without even a lesson or a Kopprasch book!  The "horn" that  comes with
the
package will be available in Geyer, Kruspe, Sansone  Single 5V Bb, Schmidt,
Alex 103, Conn 6D, Wienerhorn and Lawson  wraps with a choice of finishes
including "aged, unlacquered yellow brass"  and "Automotive Rose Tinted
Metallic
Clear Coat."  If successful, he  will release "Wagner Tube Hero" and "Viola
Hero"
later on. The  software includes all the repertoire for the horn ever
written, including movie  tracks, performed in various venues.  Titles will be
priced
 individually or in packages and there will be several plug-ins available.
"Build Your Own Horn" is one and "Design a Really Deep  Mouthpiece" is
another.  Another plug-in will allow you to build your  own hall or recording
studio
with any acoustic, decor and audience members  that you want, including
groupies and parents.  If you want the "Virtual  Conductor Plug-in," that will
be a
significant extra expense for pretty much  nothing in the way of help but
these conductors will never say things to you  like "Late," "Shorter," or "Try
not
to crack."  The Prof. be  demonstrating the beta version of this at KBHC with
regular customers  from Wal-Mart in Littleton performing.  Most of them only
have one or two  teeth so this will show that it really works!

KB

In a message dated 2/23/2009 1:02:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,