<Why do slides get loose ? Because of too much polishing. Basta.
I have used one horn from 1989 to 1999 ... but what the hell are so many doing
withtheir horns, that the slides get loose ????  What kind of junk horns are they
playing ?>

The first two horns I played on were close to new single and double Alexanders. They both
had the bad habit of the third valve slide on the F side sliding out at in-opportune
times. Using standard slide grease they would slide out quicker and were practically
un-useable on a hot day. Anhydrous lanolin worked much better though the best fix I found
was standard wheel bearing grease. Later in life I went on to a Conn8d. I was the second
owner, the first having had the horn for some six months before life's challenges
interfered with her horn playing. It's first slide would do the same thing. A stick and a
rubber band kept it reasonably in tune for many years. A couple of years ago I swapped
the slide with a friend whose slide tended to stick. His no longer sticks and mine no
longer falls out. I suppose they were all junk horns. In retrospect, I could have saved a
bundle by buying a Jupiter but least with the Conn I have "Good Junk".

: )

Dan Beeker