Jeremy wrote:

In  Kendall's example, he was doing it for a jingle.  I suppose the  recording
engineer could be spared his life for the travesty of auto-tuning  a horn
player, but only this once.
Actually, he auto-tuned everybody that day.  Even the trombones were  in
tune!  I still wonder if woodwinds had been around if that would have  stopped
him
cold, though.

Most of the commercial recording engineers, writers, producers, etc. I
worked for over 40 years, have been spared their lives many times.  In  fact,
they
do very well, thank you very much, when it comes to making a  living.

Some of the "classical" ones, engineers and producers, alike, are the  ones
who should not be spared.  Amazing how a great orchestra in a great  hall
playing the way it's supposed to play with tons of talent and years of
experience
can come out on disk sounding like a DCI group with 15 mics on  the
percussion, 12 on the trumpets and none on everyone else.  I once  confronted a
grammy
award winning "genius" why that was so, and he told me  "That's what
audiophiles want."  So much for what "musicians" want in their  work.

One producer even edited out a six bar bassoon solo.  I don't know why  but
perhaps his score reading skills were sub-par.  I know for a fact that  the
conductor never listened to the final edit as he was already fed up with  that
crew's inability to make the orchestra sound realistic in the hall.   That
recording was nominated and won a grammy that year for "Best  Engineering."

The Prof's new gizmo works great.  He's added the Auto-Transposition  Foot
Pedal and the Virtual Psycho-Acoustic Practice Simulator, which is designed  to
lessen guilt by non-association.  He's now working on the
Hand-Stopped-Stop-Mute-Fibre-Board-Carbon-Fibre-Stone-Lined-Wooden-Echo-Tone-Omni-Mute

Differentiationator. I keep telling him that no one will know the difference,
but he
insists on being true to the score.  It also will take  the guesswork out of
being confused.  He's hoping to get it on the  market before football season so
that many "serious" horn students will stay  home doing French Horn Hero
instead of playing mellophone and ruing what little  chops they have in the
first
place.  He just got a heck of a marketing deal  from Circuit City, to boot!

KB