I've seen everything from 2 to 36 mics on symphonic recording  sessions.
I've done them in concert halls, ballrooms, small and large  studios.  The most
realistic sound as to what was going on came from the  engineers/producers who
used less mics.

As to idiots, the music business is full of them at every level.   Speaking
of business and idiots, how 'bout the current news?

KB

Jeremy responds:

Just a  short note from the iPhone...
If an engineer places 15 - 20 mics for a  traditional orchestra, he's a
bona fide idiot. For something like  Beethoven 7 or Brahms 1, 4-6 mics
should be all that is required in  a good hall. This is diiferent if
it's an outdoor concert and they  need amplification. However, minimal
mic'ing is typically what the  'audiophiles' are after.

Sadly, many people 'claim' to be recording  engineers that really
aren't. There's a LOT of science and art that  go into recording and
it's something that must be practiced and  studied.

Cheers-
Jeremy