I have had some most thoughtful help, some of it based on the physics of
the horn, some on experience.  It has been a real learning experience.

What is really humbling is to realize that Leitgeb premiered all the
Mozart concertos on a valve less horn, and with a mouthpiece made of
curved sheet
metal.   This was true not only for Leitgeb, but for horn players in
Beethoven's time as well. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The metal lathe came about in 1799, seems like the mouthpiece would have been a natural object for this new machine to turn out. Do any of our more learned members know when the first lathe produced mouthpieces came about?

LLB