From: horn-bounces+treicher=cooley....@music.memphis.edu
[mailto:horn-bounces+treicher=cooley....@music.memphis.edu] On Behalf Of
Steve Haflich
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:03 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Yamaha & Alexander 103

Reicher, Tom <treic...@cooley.com> wrote:

    Perhaps because all of the horns you mention either were no longer
   being produced or were in very limited production.  Alexander has
been a
   popular horn in Japan, and Yamaha may have not wanted to go "head to
   head" with an active maker, though it would be interesting to compare
an
   Alexander 103 with a Yamaha copy.  There have been copies of the 103
   from time to time from other makers (Boosey & Hawkes, Paxman, and
some
   German makers).

When is a copy an exact copy?  Which version of the 103 would Yamaha
copy?  The 103 has been around a long time -- accouding to Osmun, it
originated in 1909 and has remained basically unchanged.

However, I believe (but on only scanty evidence) that from time to time
the construction and design have been tweaked.  I'm pretty sure that the
horns produced in the late 1970's are rather different from those
produced in the early 1960's.  They may be basically the same horn --
same layout and measurements -- but there are subtle differences.

Sorry not to have more details, but I'm sure someone else out there can
comment.

The point is that, if Yamaha were to "copy" the 103, it would not be an
exact copy.  They would use slightly different sources, fabrication, and
quality standards.  The copy would be subtly different, maybe better or
worse in various ways.

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of
the original message.  If you are the intended recipient, please be advised
that the content of this message is subject to access, review and disclosure by
the sender's Email System Administrator.

IRS Circular 230 disclosure:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by
the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this
communication (including any attachment) is not intended or written by us to be
used, and cannot be used, (i) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax
penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) for promoting, marketing or
recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.