Jay Kosta
Endwell NY
(not a teacher or pro....)
Jesse Windels jesse.windels at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 21:53:45 CDT 2009
asked -

Greetings list,

I am approaching an audition and find myself mulling over some of the same
questions that I keep returning to when attempting to get my performance in
tip-top shape.  I have been putting in good time and quality work on my
material, but still don't pull it off like Baumann :P

My high range needs some more stamina, so I have increased my routine from
3.5 to 5 hours a day with lots of frequent breaks whose duration depends on
the intensity of the proceeding playing.  Naturally day three of this and my
chops are getting tough.  So I think to myself, 'Maybe that's a good
thing.'  I've got 6 days until the audition and wonder when I should be
backing off the long days.  A few years ago I got it in my head that just
playing a very very light diet of quality long tones and articulations the
day before and of a concert or audition was best.  Since then, I've noticed
that I'll often play at my best on an average day 2 hours into practicing...
and sometimes not.  I'm sure you are all familiar with this.

I am interested in hearing advice from a community of players who have no
doubt arrived at some tried and true approaches to conditioning your chops
in a time sensitive fashion.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jesse Windels