Greetings, hornists!  I am writing to introduce myself as the Professor of horn
at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign beginning in Fall 2009. I
will be succeeding Prof. Machala, who is retiring after many great years there.

I hope to bring a sense of joy and exploration to the horn studio, rooted in
the successful teaching methods of my great mentors, the late Arnold Jacobs,
tubist Roger Rocco, and the great hornist and pedagogue, William Ver Meulen.

My varied background as a soloist (winner of the 2003 American Horn
Competition), chamber musician, teacher, and orchestral performer (currently
with the New York Philharmonic) will serve the studio well.

I will be joining brass faculty members Elliot Chasanov (trombone), Mark Moore
(Tuba), and of course Ronald Romm (trumpet, Canadian Brass founding member).

I want to put out the call for prospective students to contact me at
jostl...@yahoo.com. For Fall 2009 we can offer the TA position (tuition waiver
plus stipend) plus possibilities involving tuition waivers .

Looking forward to hearing from interested players ASAP!
Thomas Jöstlein
New York Philharmonic assistant Principal Horn
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Prof. of Horn designate