Larry Jellison wrote:
About oiling rotor surfaces, that is.  The horn community needs to
standardize on his recommendation.  Then we will be saved from
thousands of horn threads on rotor oiling that could occur in just
the next ten years.

I have a feeling that it really doesn't make as big a difference as you believe.

Even if you use only the tiniest bit of oil on the surface of the rotors using the "hold the horn straight up and carefully drop oil directly on the rotors" method, playing position and gravity will make the oil eventually drip back up the slide tubes, mix with grease, then eventually the grease-oil mixture will work its way back down to the rotor surface.

I think the best advice is to make sure your oil will dissolve your grease into a non-gummy compound. If it doesn't, change the product you use. Then if diluted grease gets back into your rotors, you just add more oil to keep the proper viscosity. The only consequence is you might have to re-grease your slides more often.

Maybe I've just drunk too much of Ken Pope's "keep the entire inside of the horn coated in oil at all times" Kool-aid.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Greg