>> Long story. Short question.  How do I go about instituting a serious
search=
 for my original horn?  Any advice deeply appreciated.  As I said=2C I have=
 the original receipt with serial number <<

Best of luck!  You are up against a serious hay stack looking for a unique
needle.

You need to advertise your desire to find this horn, and you will have to
disclose the serial number.  Otherwise, you'lll never find it.  Put your ad
online in any of several places, all of which are geared more toward selling
than finding horns:  hornplayer.net; www.hornsociety.org; www.napbirt.org,
and on this list and on the Yahoo horn list moderated by David Thompson.
Contact the major horn shops to see if they have ever serviced that serial
number horn (I keep all my repair records with serial numbers so I can look
up a horn easily).  Ask them to keep their eyes open for it, which is really
asking a lot since most shops don't have time or resources for such a
request.  Put an ad in the International Musician.  Concentrate your search
on the locale where it was sold.  Chances are better than even that it never
left the area.

Finally, be prepared for disappointment.  Not only might you never find it,
even if you do the current owner might not have any desire to sell.

--
Regards,

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited