At 6:25 PM -0300 4/16/09, Robson Adabo de Mello wrote:
Can the stopping valve be used on difficult passages or concertos on
non-friendly keys, like E major?

Sure, no reason not to.

By the way, will someone please tell me which of the hundreds of horn concertos are written for stopped horn?

If the answer is yes, why the stopping valve is placed just on the Bb side?

Because stopping, done properly, raises the pitch of the F horn a half step. On the Bb side, the same stopped hand position raises the pitch more than a half step, therefore, a stopping valve is offered on some horns.

Is it necessary to play the whole concerto on the Bb (A) side?

No. Again, someone clue me in on what concerto (I'm after only one) is for stopped horn throughout. Yeah, I know you're a trumpet player. Okay, then, I'll settle for a trumpet concerto written for muted trumpet.

Is there any
double horn with stopping valve on both sides?

I've never seen one, but I haven't seen all the horns that are out there.

Is there any double descant
with stopping valve on both sides?

I would say this would not be applicable since these horns (I assume you mean high F and high Bb, same as a Bb trumpet) would not be used for pieces requiring stopped notes. As in Baroque music.

Actually, maybe someone can answer this question. Why do descants in Bb and high F sometimes have stopping valves when one can stop on the high F side just fine, fingering a whole step lower?

--
Carlberg Jones
Skype - carlbergbmug