Ah yes. Stopping valve questions ...  always good fodder for the hornlist
discussion group(s). Let me add some comments.

Carlberg....now is your chance to commission that Concierto de Juarez for
Stopped Horn and Orquestra.   Heck write it yourself and have a premiere !!!

Paul.... tsk tsk  The Weber is  tricky but Danzi is certainly accessiible on
the F/Bb double horn. Some purists could comment that these wonderful works
played on anything but the natural horn is "Sacrilege Grande". I won't comment
on that but will say that using the valved horn +and* a stopping valve for ease
of fingerings could be comsidered excessive use of "equipment  crutch". :).

(((( commercial message here for Lowell Greer's Harmonia Mundi recording of the
Beethoven sonata, the Brahms trio and the von Krufft sonata. He is the man. And
his colleagues playing with him are a true pleasure to the ear))))

Some more serious  comments. Stop valves are *intended* for stopping use only.
Just like the first valve on the F side is only intended for a full tone on the
F side, etc.  Simply using a valve to put it 1/2  tone down for your Bb horn
pitched in  A will cause slight intonation issues with the other valved notes.
 And these issues are greater with the full double horn.  Engelbert Schmid did
have an explanation and specs in his website on how to adjust his  full double
horns  to correctly pitch them in E/A.

Some questions:   the covered notes of the natural horn are the ancestral tones
of the modern stopped horn tones. Who were those composers that took those
first musical exploitations of these sounds ? Who were the performers? What
about all the various horn mutes and their history in natural and valves horn ?

I think Hans may now be awakened like that dragon ....in that opera.... I can't
quite recall the name....  ;)

Final comments.  Do not forget to practice stopped horn.Play long tones, etudes
and of course your stopped horn passages   Explore alternate fingerings if you
don't have a stop valve. And don't forget intonation if you are using the stop
valve while "en ouevre".

Regards
Carl Ek
Mooselip Canada