"That is of course as long as the end of the mouthpiece
and the venturi line up (which, if the rate of taper is the same, they
should)."

I agree that they should line up. However, the size of the gap between
them will be different depending on the diameter of the end of the
mouthpiece shank.

As an aside, I have an old Czech horn (c. 1900) that can swallow a
standard mouthpiece all the way up to the cup.

Kit

> You can have whatever length of taper you'd like. It's the rate of
> taper that's important. If the rate of taper of both the leadpipe and
> the mouthpice are identical (which is an agreed upon standard), then
> your mouthpiece could go in .1" or 2" and it won't make any
> difference.  That is of course as long as the end of the mouthpiece
> and the venturi line up (which, if the rate of taper is the same, they
> should).
>

> On Apr 30, 2009, at 7:13 AM, Tina Barkan <tina.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul -
>> You say, "The end of the mouthpiece should ideally come right to the
>> beginning of the ventura. If these line up, they provide a taper
>> that expands from the bore of the mouthpiece to the cylindrical
>> tubing of the horn without gaps or obstructions."
>>
>> If the negative taper can vary from 1/2 to 1" long is there anyway
>> to know for sure that the end of the mouthpiece actually comes right
>> to the beginning of the ventura? If one buys a custom leadpipe does
>> it come with it's own custom mouthpiece? I'm guessing but it seems
>> to me that the length of the negative taper may be one of the specs
>> that custom leadpipe manufacturers change in order to make their
>> great leadpipes. All of the stock mouthpiece manufacturers must be
>> making some assumption about the  length of the negative taper and
>> this length may not correspond to the length of the negative taper
>> of a custom leadpipe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tina
>>

>> On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:09 PM, corno...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> HI Steve,
>>>
>>> Here is a very basic answer to your question.
>>>
>>> A lead pipe has three primary physical components that are important
>>> to its acoustical design.
>>>
>>> They are:
>>>
>>> A. the negative taper. This is the 1st section (aprox. 1/2 to 1"
>>> long)
>>> that the mouthpiece fits into.
>>>
>>> It is called the negative taper because, to accept the  taper of
>>> the mouthpiece
>>> shank, the taper measures from large to smaller. This is in
>>> opposition
>>> to the main  mouthpipe taper, which tapers from smaller to larger.
>>>
>>> B. The Ventura. This is the smallest cross section measurement of
>>> the mouthpipe,
>>> where the negative taper and the main taper meet.
>>>
>>> C. The main taper of the mouthpipe. This is the portion of the
>>> mouthpipe taper that goes from the ventura to the beginning of the
>>> cylindrical tubing.
>>>

>>> The end of the mouthpiece should ideally come right to the
>>> beginning of
>>> the  ventura.
>>> If these line up, they provide a taper that expands from the bore of
>>> the mouthpiece to the cylindrical tubing of the horn without gaps or
>>> obstructions.
>>>
>>> If the mouthpiece goes past the ventura, or not far enough into the
> [...]

Sometimes my Email program gives the wrong return address. If you have any
trouble replying to me, use 'c.j.l.w...@newcastle.ac.uk' and not 'n802...'

Sorry for any confusion