From: Kathy Lowe <tgatekeep...@yahoo.com>
To: hornlist <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2009 2:05:28 PM
Subject: [Hornlist] lead pipes: was Receiver size on Selman double horn

I have a question on very old horns and lead pipes.

My husband owns several old trombones (1940 and older) that have had to have
the lead pipe replaced.  When the pipes were removed, at best they looked like
swiss cheese, at worse they came out in pieces.

Can the same thing happen to the inside of a horn lead pipe (brass is brass
after all) and how would you tell if your old trusty horn needs a new lead
pipe?  A trombone slide you can look through, but even then you can't tell if
that pipe will come out in one piece or not.

Kathy
Anaheim, CA
P.S. Do not watch a slide guru work on a trombone slide if you are the least
bit faint of heart. Scary.