Von: horn-bounces+hans=pizka...@music.memphis.edu
[mailto:horn-bounces+hans=pizka...@music.memphis.edu] Im Auftrag von
ardee...@comcast.net
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. April 2009 21:59
An: The Horn List
Betreff: [Hornlist] Wagner Tuba-Unsafe at Any Speed

jw...@mvps@org
wrote:
> I retreated to the relative safety
> of one of the Wagner Tuba parts. It was a challenge getting used to
> the unfamiliar instrument, but at least the transposition didn't
> change as often!

>not the case when you play Wagner Tuba in Bruckner's 8th and you have that
>very fast page turn, coinciding with a tuba-to-horn swap; and ending with a
>horn blast tutti.

In my case, I slam down the tuba, grab my horn, and immediately bashed the poor
guy next to me right in the horn wrap with the bell of my own horn.

Later on (the conductor of that group was not pleased), another conductor who
was in the audience came up to me and asked 'if I was learning to play
cymbals'.

be that as it may, I consider Wagner Tubas (although fun to play if done right)
are almost impossible to keep in tune. Granted, I was using borrowed crap
instruments, so if anyone else with a good tuba wants to set me straight, I am
listening.