Hi Conja,

It's from the film "Give my regards to Broad St." There are other interesting clips in the film of a studio session where some members of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble are playing back up.

I believe that that's Geoff Bryant playing the horn solo on a Paxman double descant, and, if you watch carefully, you can see him switch to the high F side to play that high "D" using the first finger.

Many years ago, I asked Alan Civil about the original recording, and he told me that it was done in one take (after some practising) and he used a [sic] "small Alex" for the solo. Evidently, it had already been recorded, (09 May 1966 according to the notes I have) when George Martin contacted Alan personally about a [sic] "tricky bit of horn work"; the horn obligato as well as the clavichord were overdubbed some 10 days later on 19 May, 1966.

Apparently during the recording session, Paul, ever the perfectionist, asked George Martin if he could get Alan to try a second take "in case he might do it a bit better"; George, recognizing brilliance, demurred. The rest is, as they say, history.

Sincerely,
martin bender