A simple, easy and $0.05 experiment that you can try is to slide a 1/4", 5/16"
or 3/8" metal washer (whichever size fits) up the stem of your mouthpiece.  It
should rest tight just 1/4" to 1/2" above the insertion line of the mouthpiece
into the horn.  For a heavier response, use a metal nut instead of a washer; I
prefer the washer.  I find that you can immediately experience a change in the
response of the horn and the overtones.  This is one way to liven up a sluggish
8D.

My favorite washer's inner diameter has been enlarged by the use of a rat tail
file, to get it to rest at the sweet spot on the mouthpiece, in this case, 1/4"
above the leadpipe tip.

Regards,
Larry