Hi Dave,

At the age of only 61, Zdenek Tylsar died on August 18th 2006. I had the sad privilege of writing his obituary for 'The Horn Player', the organ of the British Horn Society. Up until his death, he was the Solo Horn of the Czech Philharmonic since 1968.

It is safe to say that most of the 'Horny' recordings from the orchestral repertoire feature Tylsar on 1st Horn, including a complete Mahler cycle with Vaclav Neumann. No 3 is particularly good but, disappointingly, no 5 not so as the slow tempo in the Scherzo over emphasises the characteristic Czech staccato. One of my favourite orchestral recordings is of the two Brahms serenades with the CPO and Jiri Belohlavek (Supraphon 11 1992 - 2 o31). This is perfect playing from the whole orchestra without losing any of the characterisation for which they are famous.

2 solo/duet CDs were immediately issued by Supraphon in memoriam. Both Strauss concertos, the Franz Strauss Concerto and Mozart 2 on Supraphon su - 3892 - 2 and all the double horn recordings with his older brother, Bedrich on Su 3902 - 2. This includes the Haydn Double which has not been available for some time, featuring some quite exquisite work in the slow movement. On Naxos 8 - 550393 there is Telemann, Vivaldi and the Ludwig Mozart Sinfonia da Caccia. On Point Classics 2672392 Tylsar plays Haydn 1 in D and, again with Bedrich, a superb account of the Haydn Octet.

I became acquainted with the Czech Horn tradition as a youngster in the 50's when an agent for Supraphon came into my father's music shop with one of their early LP efforts as a freebie - Rossler - Rossetti's double concerto no 5, played by the Tylsar brothers' predecessors, Miroslav Stefak and Vladimir Kubat. Absolutely amazing playing and I am just transferring it from LP to CD. Not for sale - sorry!

Ralph R. Hall (brasshausmusic.com)