Simon Varnam <simonvar...@gmail.com> wrote:

   Schubert: Symphony #9 in C
   Too obvious?

To quote Bob, "Bzzzt...nope."  It's _doubled_ by the two horns.

By the way, this is a quite interesting 8-measure theme.  It is piano
and undemarcated in the initial horn renditions.  But see sudden change
from p to pp in the last two measures.

This theme is not the usual 4+4=8 measures.  It is (nearly always)
3+3+2.  See the orchestration and dynamics of the several renditions
that follow the initial horn rendition.  This might reflect on how the
pair or corno should perform the initial theme.

Schubert's use of compound measures is worth study.  Compare the very
odd initial statement of the theme in the Unfinished.  When I was in a
grad school seminar Prof Maury Yeston (the same dude as the composer of
_Nine_) was presented this problem by a member of the class and
extempore came up with a very convincing analysis that invoked his
earlier treatise _The Stratification of Musical Rhythm_ (1976).  The
rhythm is (almost) symmetrical, creating metrical closure over the
initial 6 measures.

Unrelated, but for Schubert 9 I've always thought that Real Horn Players
should press down their 1+3 valves and play this opening piano passage
using only hand technique.  Think about the eloquent shading this
provides in the second measure.  Bob Ward -- Are you a RHP?