In a pinch, Mac users can avail themselves of the Photo Booth program; the sound is not the greatest, but it will give you an idea of how you sound.

Happy practising,
martin bender

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert N. Ward" <rnw...@comcast.net>
Date: June 29, 2009 2:58:43 PM EDT (CA)
Subject: [Hornlist] two recommendations

Hi again all,

Hope you enjoyed the solo beginnings thread. Now, I have two things to recommend to everyone.

The first is a book, written by David McGill, principal bassoon of the Chicago Symphony. It's called "Sound in Motion - A Performer's Guide to Greater Musical Expression". Someone on one of the lists mentioned it obliquely and I recently finished reading it. McGill writes eloquently and deeply about all facets of music making and how we can increase our knowledge of the music and use that knowledge to play more expressively and meaningfully. Much of it has to do with Marcel Tabuteau and his influence on phrasing and expression - very interesting and challenging book, and I highly recommend it.

The second is to note how useful using a flash recorder is in one's personal practice. I recommend every student of mine get one, and I thought I would pass on this page:

http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200703_recorder_reviews/

...which has a comparison of various units for you to look at.

Take care everyone, and enjoy your summers!

Bob

******
Robert N. Ward
Principal Horn