You aren't by chance thinking of the New England Triptych. It start with timpani solo then bassoon.

On Jun 30, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Joel Lazar <joella...@joellazar.com> wrote:

Definitely one of the very best trivia lists I've seen in many years.

I hate to propose a deletion-did somebody suggest the Shostakovich 2nd Piano Concerto? It begins with TWO bassoons.

I'd add an extremely close one: Richard Strauss: Salome, which begins with a solo clarinet scale before anybody else plays.

Shorter than the timpani roll in Sibelius 1, about the same length as the timpani stroke in Sibelius 7.

There's at least one mid-20th-century American symphonies which, I believe, begins with a timpani solo. Unfortunately, I can't recall which. Hanson #3?

Keep it up!

Best wishes--

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD