I use a digital Olympus voice recorder.  I bought mine at Radio Shack.  The
replay sound isn't the greatest, but sounds pretty good if I connect it to my
stereo or use ear phones.  It's adequate to help me improve certain aspects of
my playing.  For example, I used to have a bad habit of inhaling loudly through
my nose when I'd inhale.  I didn't realize how distracting it was until I heard
it on a recording.  I've also used it to monitor for excessive wah-wah playing.
 I don't care for the wah-wah sound that some horn players seem to
intentionally cultivate.  Valerie