2009/8/15 Prof.Hans Pizka <h...@pizka.de>:
> Jonathan, there is an easy way to handle such problems (parts):
>
> LEARN HOW TO TRANSPOSE
>
> That is he ONLY way.

Oh, I agree entirely. But Valerie's question was about the fact that,
although she *can* transpose, she is used to the idea that the
transposition is into the home key of the piece, and therefore a
written C major arpeggio traces out the notes of the tonic chord. This
makes for an nice easy way of giving yourself a pitch reference for
entries. If you don't have perfect pitch, that can be very useful.

Whether I'm transposing or not, for high register entries I'm always
listening out for what is going on around me so I can obtain a pitch
reference that will help me hit an entry cleanly. I find that in this
respect playing the horn is very like singing. If you can't hear the
note in your mind, you can't play it.

But sometimes the transposition isn't to the home key of the piece
(there are many examples and I provided a few). In such cases, it can
be a bit unsettling that the normal pitch references don't work.
There's no way round it other than to know the key of the piece and
therefore where the tonic really is, and then to make the necessary
mental adjustments.

I would regard learning how to do that as part of learning how to
transpose, and it just has to be done. I rather suspect you are of the
same opinion. I was trying to offer some insights into how.

Regards
Jonathan West