Dear Mikel, Dear All,

If, like everyone on these lists I think, you appreciate and like the
awesome work that Mark and his team are doing, then you might also
appreciate and like the fact that the petition to get more imagery in
open access, to support mapping the Philippines after Yolanda typhoon,
got most of its signatories thanks to him.

Indeed, Mark forwarded this petition to his contacts, including 114,000
Aviation Professionals:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2013-November/thread.html
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2013-November/004806.html

He even managed to get an Add for it placed on
GIS.stackexchange.com, with 40k+ members
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2013-November/004153.html

Quite to the opposite, for reasons that, frankly, I find impossible to
understand or believe, you and some of your honorable correspondents
have been fighting this petition by every mean possible. And I do mean
every mean thinkable, and also every mean unthinkable.

Let me describe a few of the steps you took to the public here, to whom
it is probably obvious that mappers need quality images to be useful and
efficient. We know that some images exist or could be collected, are of
good enough quality, but are not used for reasons of license or other,
in short particular interests (commercial, private, national, ...) that
come before the general interest. This is what must not be forgotten.

You started by trying to spread doubt about the usefulness of the
petition, in a small circle limited to the 3 coordinators and myself.
Writing for example:
"Yea, there is a month window per release, but that is easily renewable
on request. What we need to do is report back demonstrating what's been
done with the imagery, and we have good stats for that. And then, simply
request more time."

Then you apparently tried to bully us with more pressure, with a
masterpiece in misinformation that you also copied to the board. I had
to take precious hours off operational work (like today, by the way) to
show the FUD you were trying to spread
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt). I included
the HOT membership in the destinations of my reply, because I found that
behavior so shocking from the President of a so-called "humanitarian"
organization that I thought the members needed to be informed.

Then, you got a former member of the board to second you with another
fine piece of misinformation. And to complain dramatically about
imaginary content of the petition, that anyone who can read can check
for herself or himself is simply not there.

But there is a point, when misinformation is spread so consistently that
it looks like the job of professionals, where trust is lost.

And then one can even start to use these pieces like a compass that
would point to the South, instead of the North, most of the time. And
once one has understood this, if one uses his biased compass with care,
he won't get lost.

An important decision for the response to typhoon Yolanda and the
recovery of the Philippines is going to be taken today or tomorrow.

Will the 30 day imagery collection by DigitalGlobe be extended by
another 30 days?

The question was asked on Twitter, and the answer was that primary
consideration would be operational need. Some elements and examples of
current operational needs were supplied in answer:
https://twitter.com/disruptivegeo/status/404658837543989248
https://twitter.com/disruptivegeo/status/404659149478572032
https://twitter.com/PrayYolanda/status/411524254367100928
https://twitter.com/PrayYolanda/status/411527487198228480
https://twitter.com/PrayYolanda/status/411537228905467904

Of course, these informations are intended (in particular, but not only)
for a function in the humanitarian information system. No one is
personally targeted, especially if they have already done wonderful
things in understanding the potential of OSM within disaster response,
and helping it start to become a reality.

We know that it is a stressful psychological reality that it is not
easy, when you are a humanitarian worker, to accept that you cannot
solve all the problems you would like to, and answer all the needs. But,
alas, it is part of the job.

It doesn't imply that it shouldn't be allowed to mention the needs that
remain. This is actually needed for more progress to have a chance to
happen.

So, fine people who have read this far, let me remind you that there is
a petition online, that you are warmly and urgently invited to sign, and
also, maybe even more importantly, to distribute to your circles of
relations.

There is a choice of platforms on which it is available, in case one is
more convenient for you than the other:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/All_satellite_imagery_providers_Philippines_open_the_satellite_images/
and
https://www.change.org/fr/p%C3%A9titions/philippines-open-the-satellite-images

They have the same text. If you do not care, we recommend you use the
first platform, on Avaaz.org.

Please sign only on one of the platforms, to make global counting easier.

All together, let us try to make at least one good thing be a
consequence of this terrible disaster, by improving the way current and
future Disaster Response work.

Best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem

On his hospital bed, William Henley wrote Invictus:

"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate :
I am the captain of my soul."

Mandela liked this poem.

Sur son lit d'hôpital, William Henley écrivit Invictus : "Aussi étroit
que soit le chemin, bien qu'on m'accuse et qu'on me blâme, je suis le
maître de mon destin, le capitaine de mon âme." Ce poème, Mandela l'aimait.