Hi Fred,

Thanks for your email. I think deploying drones will be a great idea for
mapping those places for better hydrological modeling. I believe the marked
areas are mostly rural in nature, and I don't expect tall buildings there.
However, we sure can check that accurately. I also believe that the
permission from the flight regulation authority is possible. I know couple
of people, who can help us on that regard. Previously, we have seen drones
being deployed in different agricultural projects in rural Bangladesh, and
I dont think it will be difficult for us to get the permission.

I am copying this email with couple of my friends, who can give you more
information. Please let us know if you have any other question. Also,
please feel free to keep me in the loop.

Regards,
Ishtiaque

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Fred Moine <frmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Terre des Hommes has conducted a DRR (disaster risk reduction) mission in
> Haiti with OSM Haiti (they have seen the Drone + mapping party
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujTiYoi33_g&feature=youtu.be
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujTiYoi33_g&feature=youtu.be%C2%A0%20>
> and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oou32o-jR0M
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oou32o-jR0M%C2%A0%20> )
>
> And now Tdh Bangladesh would like to deploy the OSM Haiti methodology and
> Drone in Bangladesh for their mitigation project in this area of interest
> http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/tdh-bangladesh-drr_24362#10/25.6811/89.8242
>
> What do you think?  The idea is to have the best open database to improve
> hydrological modelling  (we discussed  the methodology in this events
> http://eguworkshop.deltares.nl/index.php/agenda/index
>
> Including local knowledge about the risk, a good elevation model (height
> of the building, an up to date land cover, road, etc....).
>
> For sure we will need to obtain permission from the flight regulation
> authority,
> http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2014/01/30/caab-baf-permission-needed-to-fly-drones
> , Any idea, possible not possible in your country.
>

> All the best FredM OSM contributor

Syed Ishtiaque Ahmed
PhD Student (Fulbright S&T Fellow)
Department of Information Science
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14850, US.
web: https://sites.google.com/site/siakallol/