Hi, Saul:

The most common activity to which you can contribute to HOT is mapping
through the HOT Tasking Manager [1].

There are lots of jobs you can choose from. I would advise you to start
with a job that you find easy, and follow carefully the instructions.

If you need learning material, you might start with LearnOSM [2] or
watching the Mapgive videos [3] (they use iD editor).

Apart from this mailing list, we have an IRC channel [4] where you can
seek help too.

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1] http://tasks.hotosm.org/