> 2. Maybe reverse what we have now: No mail gets sent when something is
invalidated and mail gets sent when something is validated. I don't know
how many people come back to map if their task square gets invalidated
anyway, especially if it is weeks or months later so we might not be
gaining anything by sending the invalidated notice and just discouraging
people.

> I think we would gain a lot more if people got notices of the good job
they did instead.

> And then we wouldn't feel bad to invalidate a task square so it can get
the attention it needs and we can move on to validate more tasks.

> That might be a good simple start, just stop sending the 'invalidated'
notices.

 Your point about no more notifications of invalidated tiles is quite
thought provoking Blake.
My first instinct would be to disagree because I like to know when my tiles
get invalidated. It can happen that some reviewers ask for more mapping
than the instructions (in particular important buildings vs all buildings).
Any time the instructions are unclear it is getting worse.
Some personal examples:
http:// <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/751#task/154>tasks.hotosm.org
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/751#task/154>/project/751#task/154
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/751#task/154>
http:// <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/765#task/163>tasks.hotosm.org
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/765#task/163>/project/765#task/163
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/765#task/163>
http:// <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767#task/261>tasks.hotosm.org
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767#task/261>/project/767#task/261
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767#task/261>
http:// <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767#task/207>tasks.hotosm.org
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767#task/207>/project/767#task/207
<http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/767#task/207>

Anyway any default behavior for notifications could be overridden by
specific @-mentions from any comments/validation/invalidation.

Notification for validated is positive feedback.
Notification for invalidated is negative feedback, but comment is
compulsory.
Notification for invalidated with comment (automatic or @-mention) is
constructive feedback.