And before giving the relay to others
Thanks all for this fantastic response In less then 8 hours, 80% of TM job 943
is completed and 25% of TM job
944.http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/943http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/944
We still have fragmented infos from Vanuata.
For this Class 5 cyclone (highest level), as powerful as the Haiyan Typhoon in
Philippines, winds over 330 km/h and waves over 7 meters high have been
reported (France Tv).
>From Vanuatu, Australian Red Cross workers have tweeted unbelievable
>destruction. Whole villages have been flattened.

 Baldwin Lonsdale, the president of Vanuatu, assisting at the Sendai, Japan
conference, appealed to the international community to support the Vanuatu
population in response to such a calaminity.

This 800 km long archipel have a population of 270,000 persons spread in a
multitude of islands.

A first report from UNICEF reports 44 deaths in the Penama province (33,000
people).
Going further south, the cyclone passed closer to Port Vila then was expected.
More then 2,000 people took refuge in shelters.

Note that with the communication cuts, it can take days before we have an exact
picture of this disaster.

more
infoshttp://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/67366444/Cyclone-Pam-hits-Vanuatu-Death-tally-begins

Pierre