Hi Pierre,
that is right, the remote mapping is important because it is that way we
produce data such as building, roads, and other data which are important
to produce map.
Thank
best regards Fofana from Lomé (International Volunteer of Francophony)

Le 20/03/2015 21:41, Pierre Béland a écrit :
> While we succeed to locate communication towers from imagery, it is often
> hard to spot them if you
dont know where to search. Images are not always clear and sometimes
cloudy. A team is presently deploying to inspect, repair the towers and
provide communication services.

> People with local knowledge are particularly useful to name objects,
to complete the map we produce remotely, giving it more significance.
> regard
>
> Pierre
>
>       De : fofana <fofana.13b...@gmail.com>
>  À : hot@openstreetmap.org
>  Envoyé le : Vendredi 20 mars 2015 17h23
>  Objet : Re: [HOT] Peace Corps mapping for Vanuatu
>

> hi,
> this is a very good idea. as for the exact position of communications
towers, it is necessary that we have teams on the ground who know the
territory. I know it's risky, but if you are able to do this work, you
provide information that remote mapping can not provide.

> Le 20/03/2015 19:56, Clark, Courtney a écrit :
> > Hello HOT community,
>
> > The Peace Corps and Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of Washington DC
will
> > host a Vanuatu response mapping event this coming Monday at our
> > headquarters. Vanuatu's current Peace Corps Volunteers will join via
Google
> > Hangout from their evacuation point in Australia. At this point, we are
> > planning to ask the Vanuatu PCVs to use their local knowledge to map
their
> > host communities and label key points such as communication towers,
schools
> > and other buildings that can serve as shelters. Participants in the DC
> > event will map Vanuatu and other vulnerable islands in the South
Pacific.