SOrry, should have posted to the group for general comment:
----- Original Message -----

From: "Stacey Maples" <stacemap...@stanford.edu>
To: "Alex Barth" <a...@mapbox.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:03:55 PM
Subject: NASA data

Alex, I've just been looped intothe following conversation with some NASA VIIRS
folks:

Karen,

Yes, I am closely monitoring the situation using our VIIRS nighttime imaging
products. Unfortunately, the affected region in Nepal was predominantly
cloud-covered yesterday (seen in red in the attached image). I will check
tomorrow ’s scene (~8:00 EST) and get back to you.

As for other agency efforts, the U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) Earth
Resources Observations and Science Hazard Data Distribution System facilitates
the sharing of information whenever the International Charter on Space and
Major Disasters is activated. The current point of contact (c. 2014) is Brenda
Jones (cced:).

Our data are particularly useful for spotting individual settlements and road
networks (both rural and urban) that have lost electricity after a major
disaster. Here’s an example for the DC derecho storm:
http://thekojonnamdishow.org/shows/2015-01-22/night_watch_washington_from_space
.

Note that we can only produce a reliable product once we get a clear-sky look
of the region. The next target of opportunity is scheduled for tomorrow at
~8:00 EST. I’ll schedule a standing order to make sure that we can process the
data quickly.

In the meantime:

(1) Besides Gorkha district (Lat/Lon?), it would be good if either of you (or
someone else) could send us a list of locations and their corresponding
(lat/lon) geographic coordinates; esp. if you are interested in assessing
underreported areas. Either that, or we can provide the entire map, and let
someone else do the final change assessment.

(2) Once we generate a first * preliminary * snapshot of the Nepal region, we
can also continue providing data for subsequent time periods. This should help
with estimating the overall recovery of local infrastructure and services –
i.e., one would hope that certain areas would come back online; particularly
across major cities. Let me know ASAP if this is of interest to you.

One final caveat: our instrument’s (VIIRS) overpass time isn’t ideal for this
situation -- i.e., we can only retrieve a “snapshot” of the greater Nepal
region at ~01:00-01:30 AM local time. If the power grid is compromised (which
is highly likely); then the local utility may be forced to institute rationing
during this period. This would make it difficult to discriminate between
affected areas.

Is this of utility for prioritizing? We'll have it sometime, tomorrow.

In F,L&T,
Stace Maples
Geospatial Manager
Stanford Geospatial Center
@mapninja
staceymaples@G+

Skype: stacey.maples

214.641.0920

Find GeoData: https://earthworks.stanford.edu

Get GeoHelp: https://gis.stanford.edu/

"I have a map of the United States... actual size.
It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
I spent last summer folding it."
-Steven Wright-